7th Annual Devolution Conference
The 7th Annual Devolution Conference shall be held from 20th – 23rd April 2020 in Makueni County.
The last six conferences have focused on various issues with a key focus on the devolution journey, including the space of National and County Governments in the implementation of the Big Four Agenda and reviewing its implementation.
The 7th Annual Devolution Conference will focus on Climate Action, in particular, the impact and the role of sub-national Governments in Climate Action.
The conference will be critical in ensuring that sub-national Governments both local, regional and across the globe have a platform to discuss and deliberate on their role and how they can unlock opportunities to turn around the climate change effects in the communities.
Given the increasing nature-related hazards like floods, landslides among others facing Kenyans, it is time we saw concerted actions to legislate, fund and enforce climate-smart strategies and reduce greenhouse gas emissions at sub-national and national levels.
Date: 20th – 23rd April 2020
Venue: Makueni County
Theme: Multi – level governance for climate action
Sub-theme: Sub-National mobilization in unlocking the full potential of climate action
Strengthening Sub-national governments to act on climate change and develop stronger mitigation capacities
Specific Objectives of the 7th Annual Devolution Conference
The objectives of this conference will include among other things, too;
- Enable County Governments to demonstrate bold climate leadership;
- To deliberate on the impact of climate change mitigation measures;
- To deliberate on how to strengthen Kenya’s capacity to develop a GHG inventory;
- Provide a platform for government and private sector to commit on climate action strategies to be undertaken for the next year; and
- Mobilize two million trees to be planted in the host county before and during the conference.
Duration and Schedule of Conference
The Conference shall be held on 20th – 23rd April 2020 in Makueni County.
The conference schedule is as follows:
- Arrival and collection of registration badges Monday 20th April 2020;
- Tree planting session in public spaces Morning of Monday 20th April 2020;
- Devolution Tournament on Monday 20th April 2020;
- Official Opening of the Conference Tuesday 21st April 2020;
- Conference Days Wednesday 22nd and Thursday 23rd April 2020; and
- Official Closing Ceremony and signing of Commitments Thursday 23rd April 2020.
H.E. Hon. Uhuru Kenyatta C.G.H The President of the Republic of Kenya and Commander-in-Chief of the Defense Forces
H.E William Ruto PhD. EGH, EBS Deputy President of the Republic of Kenya
H.E. Hon. Wycliffe Oparanya, EGH Chairman, Council of Governors Kenya
Rt. Hon. Sen. Kenneth M. Lusaka EGH, MP Speaker of the Senate Kenya
H.E Mwangi Wa Iria Vice-Chairperson, Council of Governors Kenya